Saturday, February 28, 2009

The 18th Privilege

I don’t regularly do dedicated single episode rundowns, but because I love Privileged so much I can’t help but talk about their season finale.

Let me start by saying that it was a proper season finale. A cliffhanger was there and some burgeoning storylines were set up, and while I can’t wait to watch Season 2, I also really didn’t feel like I had to watch the next episode tomorrow or I will implode. Hahaha. Furthermore, there were subtle wrap-ups of the storylines in the season. My favorite scene in this episode will have to be the one of the girls dancing (I liiike being a giiirl...) - Laurel, Megan, Sage and Rose. I really couldn’t help but smile at this scene, and in a sense, it provides a wordless statement: that this show is, above anything else, all about these ladies.

Photo courtesy of Buzzsugar.

I love the central occasion at which this episode is set - Marco’s wedding. Because we all know Marco is my favorite (I’ve said it a number of times already). His marriage to Keith gets me worried that they might boot him out of the show. I really hope not. Because then I’d be really sad. Awww… (wait a minute, para akong sirang plaka). Anyhow, what follows from the opening discussion about doves vs. fireworks (Marco naman, doves over fireworks? Seriously?! Haha.), and a stream of quirky dialogue (which forms part of the Privi trademark) is a couple of *gasp* breakups and mishaps I just totally did not see coming.

I really thought this episode would set the foundation for a Will-Megan-David (Robert Buckley, who will always be Kirby to me) love triangle. But noooo it doesn’t. It does hit us with a Will-Megan breakup which still surprised me when I saw it happen even if I already knew (I slept through my first viewing of Privi and only woke up to watch them broken up already and to “attend” Marco’s wedding for 2 minutes then slept again. Har-har.). I felt a wee-bit apologetic for siding with Will when Megan actually was right on her position on Will and his work ethic, and then boom! Megan does the most careless thing ever. Poor Will. I officially hate Megan now. Drunk or not, you just don’t do that to Will. Or any guy for that matter.

Photo courtesy of Buzzsugar.

Of course the Will-Megan breakup is enough heartbreak for one episode (even if it’s a season finale). And then comes the curve ball Sage-Luis breakup. Which is sad (because I loved them together), but totally understandable. I happen to think Sage made the right call on this one. Oh Sage, how well you’ve grown. :D

The resonating theme in this episode was that of change vs. being yourself. They couldn’t have picked a better theme for the season finale.

I’m gonna miss you, Privi! Come back, okay?


...Read more