Saturday, February 28, 2009

Oh, I'm Into You

Ah, the wonders of lowered expectations. The movie reviews for He's Just Not That Into You (HJNTIY) was just not very good. Enough for me to not expect much from it. And part of me really just wanted to watch out of sheer loyalty and support for the book (I'm a Leo, hear me roar! Haha). Another part wanted to conjure an epiphany. Just kidding. Although incidentally, if you wanted one you could probably have gotten it fifteen minutes into the movie with half your attention focused on something else entirely unrelated and much more pressing. Because by its nature, the movie is just epiphany-laden.


The Bad. It is pretty long. But not in an I-wanna-walk-out-already-and-go-home-sorta-way. Just longer than the usual talkies and romantic comedies about relationships. But then again, there are a number of storylines, people! Furthermore, the presentation is pretty kalat if I do say so myself. Which is rather unfortunate coming off from a pretty great introduction. I felt like the dividers (i.e. phrases giving instances of when he is just not that into you) were confusing, if not misplaced. The movie also did a psuedo-cross between an actual movie and a documentary and while the subjects were pretty funny and enlightening, it just felt like the film was trying too hard to be so many things at the same time. I also have to say that the movie was a star-studded waste, in the sense that they could have utilized less popular actors and still provide essentially the same finished product. I get that this would affect the commercial viability of the movie, but where's the confidence in that? The book was a freakin' bestseller. They should have sold the idea, not the actors. Jeez. In all honesty, the only two actors I strongly believe should be in the movie (i. e. not to be replaced by less popular ones) would be Ginnifer Goodwin and that Alex guy (Alex in the movie, not IRL, haha). Who are incidentally not the bigger stars in the cast. Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Drew Barrymore? Totally underutilized (Drew especially) and most probably overpaid. Scarlet Johanson and Ben Affleck? 50-50. Or scratch that, maybe 75-25 for Ben Affleck (because of the cargo pants scene, which is just so romantically cute). Hahaha. But then again, maybe I just missed Ben. :P

The Meh. The Jennifer Connelly and Scarlet storylines. Maybe it's a personal non-inclination but regardless... m-e-h. And to reiterate, they could have made this movie cheaper. Wait a minute, is this why the movie is in the premiere theatres?! Hmp! :)

The Good. As a general rule, I don't like it when movies are too faithful to the book. Because really, what's the point? And in my opinion, it is this particular movie's strongest point. Others may argue that given that the book is technically self-help in nature (i. e., no actual storylines), the movie really won't be faithful to it. Touche. But sentiment-wise, the movie really shifted course from the book by being much more optimistic. And I suspect this was opted for commercial purposes too, because who really wants to watch a movie telling you to kill all hope (I do, I do, I do! Hahaha!)? The optimism is most evident in the closing narration which I quote below.

Girls are taught a lot of stuff growing up: if a boy punches you he likes you, never try to trim your own bangs, and someday you will meet a wonderful guy and get your very own happy ending. Every movie we see, every story we're told implores us to wait for it: the third act twist, the unexpected declaration of love, the exception to the rule. But sometimes we're so focused on finding our happy ending we don't learn how to read the signs. How to tell the ones who want us from the ones who don't, the ones who will stay and the ones who will leave. And maybe a happy ending doesn't include a guy, maybe it's you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is just moving on. Or maybe the happy ending is this: knowing after all the unreturned phone calls and broken-hearts, through the blunders and misread signals, through all the pain and embarrassment... you never gave up hope.

In a sense, the movie was also fairer than the book. In fact, there was even a plotline referring to a she (i. e., she's not just that into you if she's not sleeping with you - which Renil points out is really much more realistic than the he version). Which was a good move because in reality, there are heartless bitches in the world too (maybe a 1:3 ratio with the jerks, haha). So guys, it's really okay to watch the movie too. It will only bash you 85% of the time. Haha. Plus, if and when your significant other pressures you to get married, you can quote Ben Affleck's character like it's the best anti-marriage position ever. Just make sure you both stop watching the movie after that boat scene or all hell will break loose. Hahaha.

The Particularly Noteworthy. Ginnifer Goodwin's character Gigi, may seem to be the most pathetic of them all, but she also is the most endearing. And her plotline, especially the Alex twist, was too darn funny and heartwarming. In fact, they could have made a shorter movie out of this plotline and it might just work. Yes, it's quite exaggerated but throw in the Alex angle and it really becomes cute. :P Whatever anyone's take is, the Gigi-Alex plotline really just drives home this sweet truth: no matter how much of a turn-off, and how majorly pathetic/dramatic/ridiculous/borderline psychotic you are, if he's smitten, he's smitten. You still won't be able to drive him away. A caution to the severely optimistic: Gigi may have been Alex's exception, but you aren't necessarily his. Kill all hope, kill all hope! Hahaha. :) As the book and movie echoes consistently, assume to be the rule, never the exception. You're upside is that you'll be pleasantly surprised if he ever does decide to brave things for you (but then don't expect to be surprised, duh). Because the downside to the contrary is just too much wasted time and energy on your part.

All in All. Despite the fact that I have my personal complaints over the movie, I actually liked it enough that I'd watch it again on DVD (c'mon buzzsugar, you really won't call it back?). I'd recommend it especially to the people who haven't read the book. :)

P. S. Yes, one storyline deliberately not discussed. :) It just doesn't fall under any of the subcategories, okay? Hahaha. =))

P. P. S. Seriously, Myspace?! When was this movie made, 2004? :P

...Read more