I was just too darn looking forward to watching Confessions of a Shopaholic. It is to me in 2009 what SATC was in 2008, i. e. the ultimate chick flick. The reviews have been mixed for this film - 3/4s of the world frown upon showing a movie about excessive spending in the midst of an economic meltdown. The other quarter argue that it is escapism at best, which is essentially like shopping to most girls - retail therapy wonder.
When I first found out that Isla Fisher was cast for the role, I really thought to myself, "why her?" I liked her in Wedding Crashers and loved her as April in Definitely, Maybe (I looove Definitely, Maybe!!!) but I seriously wondered whether she could pull off the role of adorably wacky Becky Bloomwood. Well, shame on me. The movie was surprisingly incredibly funny, and 99.99% of the comedic value in the movie emanated from Isla as Becky. While some stunts were hovering toward slapstick already, it was fun nonetheless. Afterwhich I therefore conclude, they couldn't have picked a better Becky.

Suze was also a pretty good complement, even if her moments were fleeting. I actually liked Krysten Ritter since way back in Gilmore Girls days, and she fitted the role of Suze to a T. My personal preference for Luke Brandon was Dermot Mulroney (okay fine, maybe he is a bit too old to play the part), and I was actually thinking that the Luke in the movie (Hugh Dancy) would turn out to be a non-character but he actually did grow on me even if I preferred him to be much more grouchy. Hahaha. :)
All in all, the movie was fun (yes, second time I said that). And waaaaay funnier than I expected it to be (this too, haha). And it is very rare to say this but I wish the movie were longer. In fact, shopaholics might be disappointed to note that there is not that much shopping scenes in the movie (just a lot of animated manequins, haha). Sure, there was this huge almost-catfight over those boots, but to me, there was still less shopping than expected considering how Sophie Kinsella's Becky Bloomwood used to rationalize and agonize over a lot of impluse purchases (some utterly ridiculous). But I guess in light of the current recession, that would be too much.
The movie merged the first two Shopaholic books. Which begs the question... would there be sequels for Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Shopaholic and Baby (Shopaholic and Sister deliberately excluded, haha :P)? But then, I don't think they should (too typical). Let us all just remember Isla Fisher as Becky Bloomwood in that way. Her outfits were too colorful but what the heck? Becky was a colorful character. :)
When I first found out that Isla Fisher was cast for the role, I really thought to myself, "why her?" I liked her in Wedding Crashers and loved her as April in Definitely, Maybe (I looove Definitely, Maybe!!!) but I seriously wondered whether she could pull off the role of adorably wacky Becky Bloomwood. Well, shame on me. The movie was surprisingly incredibly funny, and 99.99% of the comedic value in the movie emanated from Isla as Becky. While some stunts were hovering toward slapstick already, it was fun nonetheless. Afterwhich I therefore conclude, they couldn't have picked a better Becky.

Suze was also a pretty good complement, even if her moments were fleeting. I actually liked Krysten Ritter since way back in Gilmore Girls days, and she fitted the role of Suze to a T. My personal preference for Luke Brandon was Dermot Mulroney (okay fine, maybe he is a bit too old to play the part), and I was actually thinking that the Luke in the movie (Hugh Dancy) would turn out to be a non-character but he actually did grow on me even if I preferred him to be much more grouchy. Hahaha. :)
All in all, the movie was fun (yes, second time I said that). And waaaaay funnier than I expected it to be (this too, haha). And it is very rare to say this but I wish the movie were longer. In fact, shopaholics might be disappointed to note that there is not that much shopping scenes in the movie (just a lot of animated manequins, haha). Sure, there was this huge almost-catfight over those boots, but to me, there was still less shopping than expected considering how Sophie Kinsella's Becky Bloomwood used to rationalize and agonize over a lot of impluse purchases (some utterly ridiculous). But I guess in light of the current recession, that would be too much.
The movie merged the first two Shopaholic books. Which begs the question... would there be sequels for Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Shopaholic and Baby (Shopaholic and Sister deliberately excluded, haha :P)? But then, I don't think they should (too typical). Let us all just remember Isla Fisher as Becky Bloomwood in that way. Her outfits were too colorful but what the heck? Becky was a colorful character. :)


