Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Darcy's Turn (Spoiler Alert!)


Hot on the heels of Something Borrowed, I flipped the pages to read about Darcy's story this time. I actually expected full-on redemption by Chapter One only to find myself halfway through the book still thinking Darcy is being her shallow, selfish and unapologetic self. Not deserving any sympathy whatsoever. She is even more annoying than Becky Bloomwood in her most annoying times.


When she finally does decide to turn things around, her transformation takes a backseat to her crystallizing moment - the realization that she has more than friendly feelings for Ethan (I knew it! I knew it!). While the friends-turned-lovers tale had never been a personal preference (ahem!), for some reason, I couldn't help but root for them. Sigh! Love and friendship. They are what make us who we are, and what can change us if we let them.

I was expecting a reconciliation between Rachel and Darcy in this book, but I must admit the phone call and subtle patching up (even if Rachel was the second person Darcy called after giving birth) was less than expected but just right. I guess to me it drove home the point that no matter what happened, it is enough for a simple note or phone call for things to be okay again between two very close people.

Other than these though, I have nothing much to say. While the book is a good time-killer/momentary diversion, it lacks the depth of substance that Something Borrowed had. Or perhaps the story was simply more typical, and unfortunately, devoid of any hearty twists (Really, twins? Is that all you've got? Hahaha.). Maybe the Ethan thing was supposed to be the book's main surprise but for some reason I really just saw it coming. It would have been cuter if there were more love-hate moments but Ethan simply caved too soon. Hahaha.

Next stop? Baby Proof. :)

P. S. In retrospect, I can't believe it was only toward the end of the book that I realized why Something Blue was entitled so. I assumed blue = sad, not blue the color. ROFL. =))

...Read more