Monday, March 2, 2009

Rediscovering OTH

I used to love, love, love One Tree Hill. But a few months ago, I decided to boycott the show under the rationale of ridiculous plotlines. However, a little birdie told me that the show's not so bad. In fact, it's pretty much the same OTH we used to watch out for week after week. Which is why I opted to do a full on OTH Season 6 marathon recently (Jeez Yms, where is all the free time coming from? Hahaha).

Six seasons since the time I first discovered OTH, some things haven't changed for me. For one, I still loooove Nathan. Sure, he no longer is a jerk (and I don't like jerks anymore anyway, haha), but he still is adorable to me in the I'm-so-proud-of-how-you've-changed sort of way. Equally important, Brooke is still my favorite person in Tree Hill. Generally speaking, given any TV show, I would most likely favor the bitchy (yet not-so-heartless) female character, and before Sage of Privileged and Blair of Gossip Girl, there was Brooke Davis. Yes she was a bit on the sl*tty side, but she has always been a great friend and a strong, fiesty woman and the sixth season demonstrated just how much she's grown from that girl who sat naked at the backseat of Luke's car. BTW, is Sophia Bush and James Lafferty still dating? I am so rooting for them. Hahaha. :)

But some things also have changed. Like I don't hate Haley anymore. I have already accepted that she is the love of Nathan's life (awww...). Maybe because she totally upgraded the wardrobe. Hahaha. I have also conceded that Luke and Peyton are the ones who are right for each other. I think the whole Lindsey thing from the previous season helped, though I won't be devasted if all those rumors about Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton leaving the show were true (although I know of one person who will be heartbroken).

Wanna know what's gone on in the latest run of OTH?


There's a lot that went on in Tree Hill after I decided to turn my back on them (I'm so sorry for giving up after two episodes... I'm just really so impatient. Hahaha.). Nathan plays basketball again. Brooke decides to channel her mothering desires towards a teenager. Lucas and Peyton get engaged and have a baby on the way. And (drumroll please), Lucas' first novel is gonna be turned into a movie. Enter two new noteworthy characters: the charming (to further qualify: charming-not-handsome-except-maybe-a-little-up-close, haha) indie producer Julian (who is also Peyton's ex and Brooke's new romantic object - yes, they're sharing boys again :P) and eccentric director Dixon (played by James Van Der Beek, a. k. a. Dawson Leery, who I never really cared for in Dawson's Creek but I somehow enjoy watching in OTH because he is pretty funny). All in all, pretty great material, save for that eyerolling encounter similar to the psycho nanny Carrie storyline (quit it, you guys... it's soooo B movie-ish!). And while the latest episode didn't really leave any significant cliffhangers, I felt a tinge of yearning five minutes into that last episode. I want more OTH! :) The marathon just reminded me of how much I love the show.

March 16 (when the next episode is set to air) seems like such a long wait. Especially because there's a one day lag from here. Hahaha. :)

...Read more