I never really knew about this new show called Better Off Ted until I got a notification from my Facebook Scrubs fan page about this show premiering after Scrubs (there are benefits to having a hundred or so pages after all :P). I am in dire need of new stuff to watch because my faves are slowly saying BIFN (trader jargon which stands for Bye for Now - don't ask, I never really got why too, haha) one by one .And so I watched the show, which introduced itself via a full ad about this company called Veridian Dynamics. I thought it was an actual ad and not part of the show, but it turns out that it is the company where this Ted guy works after all. The company makes almost everything except maybe cows (although they have made sheep... Dolly, is that you? Hahaha), and Ted is the head of their R&D Department.
Based on the premise of working for such an omniscient company, the possibilities are endless, and as a comedy show, it should follow that the laughter potential should be endless as well. Except it's not really very funny (in the hahahaha way), and it made me feel a little like the first and last time I watched 30 Rock. What Better Off Ted has going for it vis-a-vis 30 Rock (aside from the fact that I am in a much dire need for entertainment and distraction now than before), was that Jay Harrington (who we last saw kissing Addison and causing her to kinda cheat in Private Practice) has a pretty engaging charm about him. But the highlight of the show for me is Portia de Rossi, who plays Ted's stiff yet endearing boss Veronica, the kind that you can't really hate even when she is being impossible, unethical and ummm... devoid of all emotion. All the other characters are meh to annoying, and I really hope Ted doesn't end up with his creamer-stealing assistant because as early as now I am really rooting for him and Portia.For now, I'll keep on watching, but I hope that the show has more in store other than Ted and Portia's performances. It's a show about a company who can make impossible things possible, for crying out loud! Other shows have had to work with so much less and pulled through.
P. S. Why is it entitled Better Off Ted? I don't get it. I really don't.

