Friday, May 29, 2009

Musings on the Archie-Veronica Engagement

News broke out that we are to finally see (or are we really?) one of the oldest and most renowned love triangles come to an end as Archie Andrews finally *gasp* proposes to Veronica. I personally thought I'd never see closure on this one in my lifetime because the Betty-Archie-Veronica love triangle has always been part and parcel to the well-loved comic series.

Looking back at my childhood days, I've personally preferred Veronica over Betty in probably the same vein that I prefer Blair over Serena, or Brooke over Peyton. Maybe it's as simple as thinking more brunettes are prettier than blondes or that bitchy trumps the nice girl. It should then follow that I'd be ecstatic that Archie finally proposes to Veronica. Except I' m not (i. e., not sad, but not ecstatic either). I'm glad the guy finally makes a firm decision, and it is something I saw coming given that he always had the tendency to notice Ronnie more even when Betty was the one who'd probably jump through hoops for him. But I also can't help but wonder what happens to the one that is left at the corner to grin and bear it.

Some say it ain't over 'til it's over. The twist just might be that Archie ends up marrying Betty instead. And when this happens, I will really be pissed. Not because I'm on Team Veronica, but because even as a comic book character it's not cool to decide to go for someone and end up changing your mind. And for something as serious as marriage, it should all the more be imperative for someone to be absolutely certain.

Maybe I'm second-guessing on this one (okay, I really am) but I hope Betty finally wakes up and realizes that it's always been Veronica all along and that even if she's been nothing but great, she's not The One. At least not as far as Archie is concerned.

It's a long wait until August, and I am curious to see how events will unfold (how can I not?). I hope the six-part series is reasonably priced (so I can finally afford them since I didn't as a kid and would always just borrow my cousin's comic books, haha) and has enough copies to go around. I might bitch some more by then but I do hope I'll be pleasantly surprised by how things will be wrapped up. If it were to come down to two possible scenarios, I'd personally prefer that Archie ends up with neither instead of proposing to Veronica and then end up marrying Betty. Or, Archie and Veronica can live happily ever after too. Betty Girl can just move on (you can do it Betty, he doesn't deserve you, LOL).

Until then, your guess is as good as mine. Oh, I so cannot wait for August. *wink, wink*

P. S. There have been several articles here and there taking off from Archie's proposal. Click here, here and here for some. Let the speculation and psychoanalysis rage on. :)

P. P. S. Is Betty really that devastated? She seems to not have forgotten the XOXOXO still. And Veronica!!! Insensitive much?!