Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dear Twitter

Dear Twitter,

You sneaky, sneaky bird. You with your seemingly harmless, too simplistic, probably boring platform. You that I scoffed at for Facebook, dismissed as an unworthy competitor. You that I have now fallen for.

I was wrong about you. All I had to do was give you a real shot, not the kind where I set you up and do nothing. Sure, it can be lonely at times in the Twitterverse when your friends are at the double digits only, and a mere handful are actively tweeting. But the loneliness is a fair trade off for peace and quiet, and through you I can tweet to my heart's delight without feeling TMI to a universe of 500 people. Yes, I know that my updates are visible to the entire planet. Because really, protecting updates is missing the tweeting point. But it still feels like my own little private space, and I have yet to find the optimal number of followers where loneliness and quietness hit that sweet equilibrium point.

In the meantime, I have my inner circle of lovely tweeters (that I fondly prefer to call tweetiepies) to keep me company in Twitterville: @CoNVERSExADDiCt, @fatziibebeh, @liaalu and the newest addition, @renmaldita. I've been following some brilliant and fabulous people too, most noteworthy of which are: Allison Winn Scotch, Alyssa Milano, Paulo Coelho and Neil Gaiman. Also, Mr. and Mrs. Kutcher, but who doesn't follow them? And while I make it a point not to follow celebrities who don't provide substantial tweets, I've made the exception for Wolverine and Gambit. Obviously, I'm a big fan.

And I have to say that you aren't as simple as I thought. What with all the new things I learned from you such as retweeting, URL shorteners, Seesmic Desktop and a whole lot more. I'd like to think I'm no longer a plain vanilla tweeter, who even made a risky change in username (bye-bye, @ytsirhc).

While I ever get tired of you? I don't want to make promises I cannot keep but for now it seems, I am officially a tweeting kinda girl. :D

XOXO,

Ymae the Trinket