Saturday, May 23, 2009

Gee, Glee! Sounds Terrific!


By its very definition, Glee is about opening yourself up to joy.
~ Lillian Adler

Generally speaking, I'm just not that into musicals. Nothing annoys me more than watching my favorite TV characters break into song because the show happens to have a musical special or bit (yes, you, Scrubs). There have been some exceptions (hello, Mamma Mia), but knowing that something is a musical just makes it a little less interesting for me.

In my quest to find new interesting TV shows, I decided to give Glee a shot, despite my thinking that maybe it is just another HS Musical (that I never watched ever, ha!). As the title suggests, it is all about a high school's glee club and their efforts of showcasing their talents and making themselves a part of something special.

After the pilot, I can say I'm glad I watched (thanks @mzmraz, @shondarhimes for convincing me, haha). Gorgeous and talented Finn is my new TV crush (and I commend the Glee people for hooking the girls by flashing him a few seconds into the pilot). His a capella rendition of "Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" at the shower is priceless (more, more!). All in all, the performances are great, and while I know I'm supposed to root for the home team, Vocal Adrenaline's (the rival glee club) performance of "Rehab" was so awesome that I looped it thrice (clap, clap!).

More notes:
  • Will Schuester reminds me of Screech (as in Saved by the Bell Screech). A more serious Screech. It should follow that he's got great singing talent given that he was once a member of a glee club back in the day, and I cannot wait to see him perform. Astound us all, please. :)
  • It seems that Glee is running a take-in-the-dead-heroes campaign though. As in dead heroes from Heroes, namely, Bob, the alchemist, Claire's biological mother, and Charlie with the uber photographic memory who is also Charlie in Ugly Betty (wait, is Meredith dead already?).
  • Rachel can be annoying and yet adorably funny (and her rendition of "On My Own" triggered a Katie Holmes Dawson's Creek flashback). She will probably end up with Finn, because that's the way TV goes, but while I don't hate her, I don't like her for Finn either.
  • On the other hand, Will's wife Terri is just simply annoying, not to mention a major brat. Maybe she has some redeeming value in her, but I just don't see it.
  • Kurt (the gay guy) seems underutilized somehow. I'd like him to do more solos. Great audition song! :P
  • I hope everyone on the show (i. e., the cheerleaders, the football players) end up joining the club! :)
All in all, I must say Glee is indeed a reason for glee. Here's hoping you have more gleeful performances in store for us! :)