My sister read Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me? before me, and her only feedback was that it was nakakakilig. To which I asked (version edited), "Are you hormonal?" After reading the book myself, let's just say, I hear ya, sistie! Hahaha. To be perfectly honest, I expected the book to fall short of the hype of being the latest Kinsella novel. Besides, how well can one spin yet another story about amnesia? That would be soooo Samantha Who?, right? Though I happen to love that show (hmmm, maybe that's my ideal life story, to be an amnesiac, haha!).
In a nutshell, Remember Me? may not be as pizazz-laden as the Shopaholic series (there's very little shopping involved) but whatever it lacks in shallow fun (though it is also quite funny), it more than compensates in romantic depth. I say romantic depth because beyond the goody-two-shoes and overrated fairy tale overtones of this book, lies a realization that is not only the stuff of hopeless romantic legends but is also something you would throw at a cynic's face when they say "really, love???" But then again, it's fiction. *rolls eyes*
While M. Scott Peck would have frowned on how love is depicted in this book (love is not a feeling, he said), it nonetheless provides a wonderful point - love is felt, it touches the soul and when real, it feels right and that goes beyond the limited faculties of the human mind (I know right? How very dramatic of me). Furthermore, I really liked how Lexi never got her memory back because it makes her choice all the more romantic and (drum roll please), unquestionably right. :) It tells us how one is capable of continually choosing only one person over and over again, even if slates are wiped clean (and maybe even when slates cannot be wiped clean, which is usually the case). After all, happiness is a feeling that can never be forced, and that goes beyond rhyme or reason.
Some may still say the book's plot is unoriginal but so what? It's funny and just the right kind of sunshine I need right now ;) Temporarily at least.
P. S. I loved the sunflower scene the most (kaya pala the cover has a sunflower)! Would have made a good rom-com movie scene. ;)

