Vampires have always intrigued me, even when I hated horror stories. From the time Brad Pitt's face comforted my horror in Interview (I don't remember the movie, I only remember Brad, and errrr... the disturbing kid that was Kirstin Dunst) to the time Kate Beckinsale gorgeously kicked ass in Underworld. Which is why I wonder now why I haven't jumped into the Twilight bandwagon until recently.
I watched the movie though. But only after everyone had watched it already. And it did not really inspire me enough to read the books. But I did try reading a few pages of Twilight after watching the movie. Because everyone says that the book is much better. Indisputably so. I was initially bored reading the book, but maybe because there were other things I chose to prioritize (hahaha). And I've always thought it was a teenager's cup of tea. Something I was too old to read.
Of course I was wrong. I had fun reading book after book after book after book. Why else would I read them all for two and a half days straight ignoring the perpetual migraine I've been having since I arrived home. Ignoring pretty much everyone, even Nischie. Hahaha. Which was not really such a bad thing because she learned to say "book" because of it (excuses, excuses).
The books were drenched with romance. Absolutely. What with Edward being just so romantically perfect (I'm gushing and I don't care. He glistens like diamonds in the sunlight... how can you not? :P And besides, he was beyond physical beauty). I guess I'm still a sucker for irrevocable, unconditional, endless and truest of true love (aren't we all?). But the storylines, the myths and histories and personal accounts, and the minute unique details and trivia were also interesting to say the least. After all, to spin a story about such well-known myths as vampires (even the feud between werewolves and vampires) into something remarkably different was just pure genius. And the writing was beautiful. God bless poetic prose. It is now officially my kinda mush.
I even grew to appreciate Jacob even when he annoyed me at first. That it wasn't so icky when he imprinted on you-know-who. But then again, a seven-ish age gap is nothing compared to a hundred or so.
I'm so grateful to my sister for her hand at my finally reading the books. If she hadn't specified them to be at the top of her Christmas wish list, I wouldn't have thought of reading them myself (what with her contagious enthusiasm). Of course, I had to let her spoil the experience with all my prodding for spoilers. That which I really regret. I would have enjoyed it much more if I didn't know about a number of storylines and twists. I think I knew most of the twists before actually reading about them, and those that I hadn't, I terribly liked (dang!). And for whatever reason, Breaking Dawn is my favorite. Hands down.
I hope the next three movies get better based on feedback from the first movie. That movie which I reiterate to not have done the book justice. Tsk, tsk. And it would be a greater disappointment if the colorful scenes of the last three books will not be given justice as well. And maybe it's not too late to recast Jacob? Hahaha. Fine, fine. At least make him "grow" handsome.
I can't wait for Midnight Sun (it has to push through!). I'm still debating on whether to read that half-ebook circulating around or not. Or rather, to be politically correct, the official incomplete draft. I might need to be as strong as Edward to resist. Hahaha. Also, there's a Jacob-Renesmee sequel, right? ;) Please, please.


