Saturday, August 2, 2008

Coming Soon... Can't Wait! :D

Like the passionate movie-goer that I am, I’m making a list of my must-watch movies for the rest of the year. All of which I intend to watch in one way or another (there are different ways of watching? LOL). Here goes:

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

Who? America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn, Alexis Bledel, Blake Lively, Jesse Williams

When? August 2008

What? It's been three years since the lifelong quartet of best friends established the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Now they face the biggest change of all: college. Carmen is studying drama at Yale, Tibby is learning to direct at NYU, Bridget is getting to know her grandmother for the first time, and Lena is torn between two romances. Through it all, the girls maintain their bond despite the distance between them, and use their friendship (and pants) as a source of strength in the face of their obstacles.

Why? I’m an Alexis Bledel fan! I absolutely adore Rory. Plus Serena‘s in the movie too. And Ugly Betty! The first Sisterhood was okay but not exactly amazing, so I hope this one can actually top it’s precedent. The trailer actually shows much promise. And it’ll hit theaters really, really soon. :D

The House Bunny

When? August 2008

Who? Anna Faris, Emma Stone, Rumer Willis, Kat Dennings, Katherine McPhee, Monet Mazur

What? It's about a Playboy playmate (interesting already, boys?). The playmate, Shelly, gets kicked out of the Mansion (for being over-the-hill at 27), and in the midst of her oh-so-sexy despair, she runs into a group of girls with a conveniently matching problem. Seven uncool sorority girls are about to lose their house unless they can whip up some new pledges. Enter the new house mother! Between Shelly's social skills and the girls' sense of individuality, they have the perfect ingredients for the ultimate sisterhood.

Why? It sounds like shallow fun with a sexy twist to the been-there-done-that sorority plot! Plus, Anna Faris is funny. But then, this is just a DVD movie expected to bring a few shallow laughs. :D

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

When? October 8, 2008

Who? Michael Cera, Kat Dennings

What? Michael Cera stars as Nick, the bumbling, unlucky-in-love teenager (who's also a guitarist in a band — geeky-hot!) who's still hung up on his ex-girlfriend. But then Norah (Kat Dennings) asks Nick to be her temporary boyfriend so it looks like she has a date, and it works out well for both of them when Nick's ex-girlfriend sees them together and becomes jealous. From there, Nick and Norah have a long night of strange, funny adventures and, as the trailer declares, "every night has a playlist." There's music and comedy and young love.

Why? I happened to like Michael Cera in Juno, and based on the trailer, the girl seems pretty interesting too. And it seems like it’s not your average teeny-bopper movie. But then, this might be a DVD movie too.

Flash of Genuis

When? October 25, 2008

Who? Greg Kinnear, Lauren Graham, Dermot Mulroney and Alan Alda

What? Honestly, if one were trying to get folks excited about a movie, a good way to fail would be to say it's about the guy who invented the intermittent windshield wiper systems used on cars. But what if we're told the movie stars Greg Kinnear as the inventor and the lovely Lauren Graham plays his wife? Add to that a real-life David vs. Goliath tale in which Goliath is the auto industry stealing the windshield wiper idea from David, and we're getting toward a movie worth talking about.

Why? Greg Kinnear is a great actor so I believe he can do justice to his role. And I adore Lauren Graham (I am a Gilmore Girls girl, okay?). Throw in Dermot Mulroney and you’ve got a done deal. He is the obnoxious auto company executive right? Or Greg’s lawyer? Or whatever role it is that could make him ooze with snobbish appeal? Swoon alert!

He's Just Not that Into You

When? October 2008

Who? Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long, Jennifer Connelly, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kevin Connolly, and Bradley Cooper.

What? All I know is that the bestseller hits the big screen. And all I need to know to wanna watch anyway. :D

Why? I loved the book (I’ve always said it’s just as enlightening as any Paolo Coelho novel), and I’m excited to see how they take this to the big screen. Plus, I miss Ben and Jennifer Aniston, and I'm wondering how well they’ll gel together. Yeah, I’m first-names basis with Ben. Hahaha. The trailer looks pretty interesting and the cast is quite star-studded. :D

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

When? November 21, 2008

Who? Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, Jim Broadbent, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton

What? As Harry Potter begins his 6th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he discovers an old book marked mysteriously “This book is the property of the Half-Blood Prince” and begins to learn more about Lord Voldemort’s dark past.

Why? I’ve seen the trailer and agree that it seems darker than it’s predecessors and even bordered on disturbing as it shows the life of the young Tom Riddle. Creepy as this may be, I’m still watching it for the love of Harry Potter.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

When? November 26, 2008

Who? Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Elle Fanning, Jason Flemyng, Elias Koteas

What? Based on the 1922 short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Benjamin Button (Pitt) is born as a feeble old man, and ages in reverse until he becomes a baby at the end of his life. This causes complications when he falls in love with a 30-year-old woman (Blanchett). Fitzgerald has noted that “This story was inspired by a remark of Mark Twain’s to the effect that it was a pity that the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end.

Why? A pretty interesting plot plus a stellar cast. Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt (and it‘s been a while since I’ve watched a new movie of his), and then there’s Cate Blanchett who I hope doesn’t get sidelined in this movie because it seems like the plot will focus on he-who-ages-in-reverse. However, I know better than to underestimate Cate Blanchett, who is (in my opinion) one of Hollywood’s greatest actresses.

The Time Traveler’s Wife

When? November 2008 (estimated)

Who? Rachel McAdams, Eric Bana, Ron Livingston

What? Based on the novel by Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler’s Wife is a romantic drama about a Chicago librarian (Bana) with a gene that causes him to involuntarily time travel, and the complications it creates for his marriage.

Why? It’s Eric Bana! Plus Rachel McAdams! I rest my case. Hahaha. The plot is fairly unconventional. Who knows, it might inspire me to read the book too. The way the movie version of The Kite Runner led me to the book.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

When? December 12, 2008

Who? Keanu Reeves

What? A remake of the classic 1951 sci-fi action film by Robert Wise, which is considered one of the best Science Fiction films of all time and was debated for it’s religious symbolism and many interpretations. Reeves will play Klaatu, an alien who arrives on Earth accompanied by a large humanoid robot named Gort, with a warning to world leaders that their continued aggression will lead to annihilation by species watching from afar.

Why? I miss Keanu! And did he ever portray an alien ever? Hahaha. I know it’s been noted that he has only one facial expression. But still… I miss Keanu! And the trailer is amazing! And I really really miss Keanu!!! Hahaha. :D

Angels and Demons

When? December 19, 2008
Who? Tom Hanks

What? The movie version of The Da Vinci Code sequel.

Why? I didn’t know until recently that a movie was in order. Eeee! I liked this book more than TDVC. And my stand has always been that it is more movie-material than TDVC is. Is it too late to request that they replace Tom Hanks with Nicholas Cage (sorry Tom!)? And who will play Vittoria?

Don’t think I didn’t notice that there’s nothing for me to watch in September. So sad! :( It’s a good thing my favorite shows will have season premieres then. That ought to keep me occupied and happy. :D