At first glance, the new Cupid (a remake of the 1998 series staring Jeremy Piven), seemed to be this huge cliche of a show... After all, haven't we had enough of matchmakers claiming fame as modern-day Cupid?
But the show is about real Cupid being banished from Mt. Olympus and his ticket back is successfully helping a hundred couples find true love. Cupid, who calls himself Trevor Pierce, has some sort of definition of what qualifies as true love, but I'd rather not quote it. Ha!
I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology, so the whole
scene where Trevor is being quizzed by Claire, the shrink assigned to his case, about the Greek gods and goddesses totally did it for me. In addition, Bobby Cannavale, who plays Cupid/Trevor, while not exactly swoon-worthy, has just enough cockiness and sense of humor to earn the part (he's perfect as a bartender too). I'm still 50-50 on Claire and her extremely lecturing self but I hope that tips to a thumbs up soon since she has a 99.99% chance of being Cupid's Psyche (.01% for a shocking twist).
Of course, each episode has novelty potential, as we watch Cupid scour to match 200 souls (or rather 198 souls ;D). I happen to like the story featured in the pilot, which while predictable was still cute, mostly because the Irish musician Dave was such a sweetie and a cutie. I just hope that from hereafter, they feature more original, creative stories - a tough challenge in a world where romantic cliches run rampant.
But a hundred or so dashes of hopeless romanticism? Sure, why not. ;) As long as they aren't tacky.
But the show is about real Cupid being banished from Mt. Olympus and his ticket back is successfully helping a hundred couples find true love. Cupid, who calls himself Trevor Pierce, has some sort of definition of what qualifies as true love, but I'd rather not quote it. Ha!
I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology, so the whole
scene where Trevor is being quizzed by Claire, the shrink assigned to his case, about the Greek gods and goddesses totally did it for me. In addition, Bobby Cannavale, who plays Cupid/Trevor, while not exactly swoon-worthy, has just enough cockiness and sense of humor to earn the part (he's perfect as a bartender too). I'm still 50-50 on Claire and her extremely lecturing self but I hope that tips to a thumbs up soon since she has a 99.99% chance of being Cupid's Psyche (.01% for a shocking twist).Of course, each episode has novelty potential, as we watch Cupid scour to match 200 souls (or rather 198 souls ;D). I happen to like the story featured in the pilot, which while predictable was still cute, mostly because the Irish musician Dave was such a sweetie and a cutie. I just hope that from hereafter, they feature more original, creative stories - a tough challenge in a world where romantic cliches run rampant.
But a hundred or so dashes of hopeless romanticism? Sure, why not. ;) As long as they aren't tacky.


